Mukai Farm & Garden, Vashon Island, is sponsoring its second annual Haiku Festival, March to April 24,2021. There is a limit of three entries per person. Submit entries on Mukai’s website (https://mukaifarmandgarden.org/events/). Entries will be on display at Mukai Farm throughout the month of May. Visitors may vote for their favorite haiku for the People’s Choice awards from April 24-30. Vote online or at the Mukai Farm & Garden kiosk.
This juried competition is for people of all ages to submit their haiku poems to compete in the following categories:
- Heritage: Most eloquent portrayal of the history or some other aspect of the Mukai Farm & Garden
- Nature: Most elegant and poignant depiction of some aspect of nature
- Social Justice: Shedding unique insight on social equity
- Young Poets: Best haiku for 1) children (grades K-6) and 2) young adult (grades 7-12)
- People’s Choice: Most popular haiku
Other categories that may occur to the jurors.
“Last year’s Haiku Festival drew 250 entries from all over the world, from people aged five to ninety-five,” said Rita Brogan, President of the Mukai Farm & Garden Board. “This year we look forward to an equally delightful burst of creativity from poets from Vashon and beyond.”
Vashon’s Mukai Farm & Garden is a place that nurtures awareness of Asian-Pacific culture and history. The former strawberry farm has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places as one of the few surviving Japanese farmsteads in the US.