Please post your event on our Seattle Japanese Community Calendar from this link!
* Your event will be posted online after our editorial staff’s approval and edits if needed. Please wait for up to 24 hours before your event post is displayed on our calendar.
*The Image file need to be resized to under 500KB. Otherwise, we will remove the image from the post.
- This event has passed.
Seward Park Torii Celebration
April 2 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pmFree
The long-awaited celebration of the construction of the new Japanese torii (gate) in Seward Park will be held on Saturday, April 2.
The new gate replaces the original that was built in 1934 for the Golden Potlatch celebration (the ancestor of today’s Seafair) to help promote Seattle as the “Gateway to the Orient.” After the celebration ended, the gate was donated to the city and relocated to Seward Park.
The program will include:
– School of Taiko Drummers
– Welcome by Duwamish Tribal Chairwoman Cecile Hansen
– Introductions by Joey Manson, Seward Park Audubon Center Director
– Remarks by Representative Sharon Tomiko Santos
– Sakura Dance by Akemi Grace
– Poems by Lawrence Matsuda
– Project history and donor and volunteer appreciation by Paul Talbert
– How to Build a Torii chant (audience participation) led by Ted Weinberg
– Washington Diamonds Drill Team
– Mak Fai Lion Dance
– Closing Remarks by Joey Manson
– Gifts in the Seward Park Audubon Center