Shikoku Island Discovery Tour – Discover Japan’s hidden gem around Seto Inland Sea
April 9 – April 22 (14 Days / 12 Nights)
Since 2010, the North American Post and Hokubei Hochi Foundation have offered an
annual cultural tour to Japan. The tour includes travel to Tokyo, Takayama, Shirakawa-go, Okayama, Kyoto, Nara, and Hiroshima and gives members unique local experiences and low tour rates for travelers.
In 2020, we present very special Spring Japan tour visiting Shikooku Island, Hiroshima and Kyoto. The tour will travel around Seto Inland Sea. This will be very special experience exploring well-preserved historic towns and nature with our volunteer tour guides using local public transportation. Join our orientation to learn more about the tour.
- Availability is limited. We accept 20 maximum tourists for this tour.
- This tour is led by two volunteer tour guides including one JPN/ENG bilingual tour guide
- This tour uses public transportation for entire ground transportation. Tour members need to be able to comfortably walk long distances and move up and down stairs at subway stations.
- $4390/person with double occupancy hotel rates
- $4240/person with triple occupancy hotel rates
- $5250/person with single occupancy hotel rates
- International round-trip flights Seattle – Osaka
- 12 nights Hotel stay with complimentary breakfast every day. (Other meals on your own, except the ryokan dinner in Kotohira on 13th.)
- One fantastic “Ryokan Enkai Style” dinner at Kotohira Grand Hotel Kobai-Tei
- Ground transportation and entrance fees for destinations included in the itinerary below
- $1500 due on Friday January 3rd, 2020
- Remaining due on Friday 2020 January 31st, 2020
- After Friday January 3rd, 2020, $1500 non-refundable
- After Friday February 28st, 2020, $2500 non-refundable
- After Friday March 20th, 2020, full amount non-refundable
- 1 night in Osaka at Hotel Granvia Osaka (www.hotelgranviaosaka.jp)
- 2 nights in Takamatsu Kagawa at Takamatsu Kokusai Hotel (tkh.anabuki-enter.jp)
- 1 night in Konpira Kagawa at Kotohira Grand Hotel Kobai-Tei (https://www.koubaitei.jp)
- 3 nights in Matsuyama Ehime at Matsuyama Tokyu Rei Hotel (www.tokyuhotels.co.jp/matsuyama-r)
- 1 night in Onomichi Hiroshima at Onomichi Kokusai Hotel (https://www.kokusai-hotel.com/kokusai/)
- 4 nights in Kyoto at Miyako Hotel Kyoto Hachijo (www.miyakohotels.ne.jp/kyoto-hachijo)
|Apr 09, Thu||Seattle||Meet at Sea-Tac flight gate
*Delta DL183 Sea-tac 11:42 am – direct flight to Kansai International Airport
*crossing the International Date Line, arriving in Osaka, the next day.
|Apr 10, Fri.||Osaka||Arrive in Osaka Airport 3:25 pm
Airport Limousine Bus to Hotel
5:00 pm Arrive Hotel
|Apr 11, Sat.||Osaka – Takamatsu||11:00 Leave Hotel – JR Ride Osaka Station to Shin Osaka
Lunch time in Osaka
13:00 Depart Shin Osaka St on JR bullet train (Nozomi)
Arrive Takamatsu St 15:00
15:30 pm Arrive Hotel – Free time in Takamatsu
|Apr 12, Sun.||Takamatsu||9:30 Leave Hotel
10:15 Leave Takamatsu Port on Ferry
11:00 Arrive Naoshima Miyaura Port
Taxi to Benesse House Museum – Arrive about 11:30 am
11:30-14:30 Free time at Benesse House Museum
15:00 Leave Naoshima Miyaura Port
15:20 Takamatsu Port
16:00 Arrive Hotel
|Apr 13, Mon.||Takamatsu –Kotohira||8:30 Leave Hotel
9:00 Sightseeing Bus to Iya Vally
12:10 Arrive Iya Vally Kazura Bashi
Free time at Iya Vally including Lunch time
Enjoy Iya Vally River Cruise
15:30 Leave Iya Vally Kazura Bashi to Konpira
17:30 Arrive Kotohira – walk to hotel
18:00 Arrive hotel
|Apr 14, Tue.||Kotohira – Matsuyama||Free time including lunch time to explore Konpira-sama (Kotohira-gu Shrine)
14:00 Leave Hotel
14:30 Leave JR Kotohira Station
17:30 Arrive Matsuyama St (JR express)
Streetcar to Hotel (15 min)
18:00 Arrive Hotel
|Apr 15, Wed.||Matsuyama||Free day in Matsuyama – travel your own|
|Apr 16, Thu.||Matsuyama||Leave Hotel
Visit Uchiko and Iyoozu area by train
|Apr 17, Fri.||Matsuyama – Onomichi||9:00 Leave Hotel
9:36 Leave Matsuyama Station by express bus
11:51 Arrive Shin-Onomichi Station
Hotel Shuttle bus to Hotel (10 min)
12:30 Arrive Hotel
PM Free time to explore Onomichi
|Apr 18, Sat.||Onomichi – Kyoto||AM Free time to explore Onomichi
15:00 Leave Hotel – Hotel Shuttle to JR Shin Onomichi St.
16:00 Leave JR Shin Onomichi St.
17:30 Arrive JR Kyoto St.
18:00 Arrive Hotel
|Apr 19, Sun.||Kyoto||Escorted Kyoto day tour visiting Philosopher walk in morning and green tea village in Uji in afternoon.|
|Apr 20, Mon.||Kyoto||Escorted Kyoto day tour visiting Gekkeikan Sake Museum in Fushimi in morning and Arashiyama in afternoon
Gion Night Tour at nighttime (English speaking local tour guide will escort us to walk around Gion area explaining about history of Gion and Maiko/Geisha culture in Kyoto)
|Apr 21, Tue.||Kyoto||Free day in Kyoto – travel your own
*Toji flea market is held this day in morning
|Apr 22, Wed.||Kyoto – Seattle||Free day in Kyoto
16:00 Leave hotel
Depart for Airport by Airport Shuttle
Leave for Honolulu (Delta DL278 9:00 pm KIX – 9:50 am HNL)
Leave for Seattle (DL1887 HNL 12:50 pm 9:35 pm)
Arrive Seattle 22nd 9:35 pm
*Schedule may change due to weather, traffic, transportation availability, our walking speed, waiting time etc.
Q. Why is your rate so reasonable?
A. We have been offering relatively lower rates as we have been running this tour as part of Hokubei Hochi Foundation non-profit programs with its mission promoting Japanese culture in the Seattle area. Tour guides are volunteer. We also keep this rate possible by NOT using private bus. The tour use public transportations. We have been working with Nippon Express Travel (https://www.tabi22.com/), who provide us with discounted group rates for flights and hotels.
Q. Do you sell travel insurance?
A. Neither the North American Post Publishing (Hokubei Hochi Flundation) or the travel agency Nippon Express Travel sell travel insurance. Optional travel insurance needs to be prepared individually.
Here is recommended travel insurance:
You can see coverage details, premier, and apply online.
Q. Can I upgrade flights?
A. If you want to upgrade your flight, we will arrange by charging you actual upgrade fee from the air company. Availability may be limited. Contact us for more details
2020 Spring Tour Orientation – 2 options!
- Date&Time: Tuesday December 3, 6:00-7:30 pm
- Venue: The Japanese Cultural and Community Center of Washington (JCCCW), 1414 S Weller St, Seattle, WA 98144 – main conference room
- Date&Time: Sunday December 8, 1:00 – 2:30 pm
- Venue: The Japanese Cultural and Community Center of Washington (JCCCW), 1414 S Weller St, Seattle, WA 98144 – Room #202
Please join our orientation to meet our tour guides and learn more about this Special Spring Tour. We will go through tour destinations, ground transportation, tour fees and more. Q&A session will be followed. The orientation is free and open to public.
If you are interested in our tour or just in joining the orientation, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org